scotch, scotch, scotch. i love scotch.

I love drinking.

There. I said it.

Haha but no, I really do. A few drinks with great friends is one of the best and most relaxing things you can do for yourself, in my opinion. I always like to try new things, and decided I'd like to start doing a weekly drink recipe post on Fridays. I'm thinking 'Happy Hour Fridays'? What do you think? What would you like to see on here? I may also add beer and wine reviews, too to mix it up a bit.

So back to this 'scotch' idea. I used to be strictly a clear liquor girl, but recently I've found that I really enjoy whiskey. Not whiskey and cokes, not well whiskey shots, but a nice whiskey on the rocks or, my new favorite, an old fashioned.

An old fashioned is, as the name implies, a drink that goes back a long way. According to Wikipedia (the best source, obviously), the earliest recipe for an old fashioned dates back to 1895.

It's been recommended to me to use a blended whiskey comprised of mostly rye, so that's how I always make mine and request them at the bar.

To make an old fashioned, you will need:

a splash of simple syrup

two dashes Angostura bitters

2 oz rye whiskey or blended whiskey

ice

slice of orange*

maraschino cherry*

Get yourself a rocks glass. Pour a bit of simple syrup in the bottom. Swirl it around to coat the sides of the glass. Add bitters, your orange and cherry, and ice. Pour whiskey over this mess and stir with a spoon. Enjoy.

*Orange and maraschino cherry aren't technically traditional, but I think the orange adds a wonderful flavor. You can use an orange peel only to be more traditional, if you'd like.

Sexy drink, right?
Like I said before, I haven't always been a dark liquor person, but this drink changed my mind completely. Give it a try sometime if you're at the bar and up for something new. You won't regret it.

Comments

Popular Posts